What the Commission is doing
The EU is based on the values of human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality, the rule of law and respect for human rights, including the rights of persons belonging to minorities.
The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union brings together all the personal, civic, political, economic and social rights enjoyed by people within the EU.
- Respect for people's fundamental rights by the EU and by its member countries
- Equal treatment on the basis of sex, race or ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age and sexual orientation
- Protection for people's personal data anywhere in the EU
- Access to justice in case of legal difficulties anywhere in the EU
- Protecting and empowering consumers
See what other EU institutions are doing on justice and fundamental rights
e-Justice portal - quick answers to your questions
The European e-Justice Portal is conceived as a future electronic one-stop shop in the area of justice.
Consular protection for EU citizens abroad
Your right to consular protection.
Eurojust - EU's judicial cooperation
Information about the European Union Agency for Criminal Justice Cooperation.
Fundamental rights agency
Promoting and protecting your fundamental rights across the EU.
European institute for gender equality
To contribute to and strengthen the promotion of gender equality in all EU policies, and the fight against discrimination based on sex.