Know your rights
Chapter 5 of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights is on citizens' rights. Articles 39-46 in this chapter protect the following rights
- right to vote and to stand as a candidate at elections to the European Parliament
- right to vote and to stand as a candidate at municipal elections
- right to good administration
- right of access to documents
- european ombudsman
- right to petition
- freedom of movement and of residence
- diplomatic and consular protection
What to do if your rights have been breached
The authorities of EU countries are bound to comply with the Charter of Fundamental Rights only when implementing EU law. Fundamental rights are protected by your country's constitution.
Addressing your complaint to the relevant national authority, government, national courts or a specialised human rights body.