EU-wide results as of March 2022
- Investment Plan expected to trigger €524.3 billion in investments
- around 1,460,732 SMEs set to benefit
Macroeconomic impact of the Investment Plan
Latest results infographic
European Investment Bank Group figures
1. EFSI (European Fund for Strategic Investment) investment by sector based on approved operations:
- 33% to smaller companies
- 27% to research, development and innovation
- 15% to energy
- 9% to digital
- 6% to transport
- 6% to social infrastructure
- 3% to environment and resource efficiency
- 1% to bioeconomy
2. The European Fund for Strategic Investment has approved €99.3 billion of financing, of which €87.4 billion has been signed. This is expected to generate €524.3 billion in total investments related to EFSI approvals (exceeding the target by 2020 of €500bn). Of the €99.3 billion approved EFSI financing, €65.8 billion is European Investment Bank-approved and €33.5 billion is European Investment Fund-approved.
3. Examples of EFSI projects:
- 531,000 affordable flats built or renovated;
- renewable energy for over 10 million households;
- and better waste treatment for 33.3 million people.
This table shows the breakdown by country of EFSI finance approved by the European Investment Bank (EIB) Group; how much investment that EFSI finance is set to trigger; and how the countries rank by total investment set to be triggered by the EFSI as a proportion of GDP (as of March 2022).
|Country||EFSI finance approved by EIB Group (€ million)|
Set to trigger investment of
|Ranking (1-28): EFSI-triggered investment per € of GDP|
*The UK received EFSI financing during its membership of the EU. Following its withdrawal from the EU, the UK does not receive any new support under EFSI.
** This amount refers to operations in more than one country as well as covering financing operations which have been approved and for which the target countries are still to be allocated.
|Agriculture||Digital||Energy||Environment and resource efficiency||Research, development and innovation|