About the programme
The LIFE programme aims to
- facilitate the shift towards a sustainable, circular, energy-efficient, renewable energy-based, climate-neutral and resilient economy
- protect, restore and improve the quality of the environment, including the air, water and soil
- halt and reverse biodiversity loss
- tackle the degradation of ecosystems
The financial envelope of the LIFE Programme is implemented via four sub-programmes:
- Nature and Biodiversity
- Circular Economy and Quality of Life
- Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation
- Clean Energy Transition
The programme supports demonstration, best practice, coordination and support actions, capacity building, and governance projects.
This includes large scale Strategic Integrated Projects and Strategic Nature projects, which support the implementation of environmental and climate plans, as well as programmes and strategies developed at regional, multi-regional or national level.
Who is eligible
Learn more about the types of opportunities available through this programme, and who can apply.
Funded projects and results
Budget and performance
Includes performance highlights, key performance indicators, and the performance framework and assessment.
- Programme duration
- Lead Directorate-General
- Predecessor programme
Programme for the Environment and Climate Action (LIFE)
- Management mode
Direct and indirect management
- MFF heading
Natural Resources and Environment
Environment and Climate Action
- Climate contribution
61% (ℹ) (target)
- Total budget 2021-2027
€ 5.43 billion (ℹ) (current prices)