DG ECFIN conducts economic forecasts and business and consumer surveys to underpin economic policy in the EU. It also coordinates the Commission’s work for a deeper and fairer Economic and Monetary Union (EMU), and promotes the role of the EU as a global actor in the economic arena. Finally, the Directorate-General is responsible for economic policy coordination, in particular through the European Semester, and safeguarding fiscal and financial stability in the EU.
DG ECFIN works to facilitate the recovery from the coronavirus crisis, support people and businesses, and build a greener, more digital and resilient European economy, in line with the EU’s long-term goals and the Commission’s priorities to build an economy that works for people and a European Green Deal. To this end, the Directorate-General is in charge of a wide range of instruments aimed to help the recovery:
- DG ECFIN is together with the Recovery and Resilience Task Force (RECOVER) responsible for the implementation of the EU’s main recovery tool, the €672.5 billion Recovery and Resilience Facility (RRF). The RRF Scoreboard gives an overview of how the implementation of the RRF and national recovery and resilience plans is progressing.
- It is responsible for the implementation of the European instrument for temporary Support to mitigate Unemployment Risks in an Emergency (SURE), providing financial assistance up to EUR 100 billion to Member States to protect workers and jobs by supporting short-time work schemes and similar measures.
- It is in charge of implementing the InvestEU programme, the EU's flagship investment programme to kick-start the European economy and mobilise private investment across Europe.
- It is responsible for macro-financial assistance programmes (MFA) to partner countries, including a €3 billion MFA package for ten enlargement and neighbourhood partners, aimed to help them limit the economic fallout of the coronavirus pandemic.
Plans and reports
Commission work programme - overview of institution-wide deliverables for current year
Strategic plan - department strategy, objectives for 2020-2024
Management plan - department forecasted outputs, activities, resources for current year
Annual activity report - department achievements, resources used during previous year
Annual work programme - budget line for certain policies and funding programmes for current year
Leiding en organisatie
- Directorate-General for Economic and Financial Affairs
- +32 2 299 11 11 (Commission switchboard)
- European Commission, Rue de la Loi 170/Wetstraat 170, 1049 Bruxelles/Brussel, Belgium