eTranslation is a cutting-edge neural machine translation service provided by the European Commission. It was officially launched on 15 November 2017, superseding the earlier statistical system, MT@EC.
The web page is free to use for EU institutions, public administrations, universities, EU freelance translators, SMEs, European NGOs and projects financed by the Digital Europe Programme, located in an EU country, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Ukraine. Registration is required (see Access below). eTranslation also offers a web service API for machine-to-machine connections from eligible parties.
- High security - all data processed by the system stays within the Commission’s firewalls and can't be seen by outsiders
- Translates from and into any official EU language as well as Arabic, Chinese, Icelandic, Japanese, Norwegian, Russian, Turkish and Ukrainian
- Offers several styles of translation (“domains”) in the fields of EU Formal Language, General Text, Finance and a few more
- Supports all common office formats, including pdf
- Can provide tmx or xliff files for professional translators
eTranslation produces raw machine translations. Use it to get the gist of a text or as the starting point for a human-quality translation. If you need a perfectly accurate, high-quality translation, the text still needs to be revised by a skilled professional translator.
Staff working for EU institutions or agencies can directly access eTranslation with their EU Login credentials and therefore do not need to register.
Other eligible users in EU countries, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Ukraine can register here.
Individual accesses will be automatically deactivated after 12 months if not used.
By registering to use this application, you are consenting to eTranslation’s use of personal data as described in our Privacy Statement.
The official Data Protection Notification can be found here.
How to use it
After logging into eTranslation, select the type of translation you prefer:
- Translate documents - upload one or more documents singly or in one go;
- Translate text - type or copy and paste your snippet of text.
In a simple drop-down menu, choose the type of language (domain) that corresponds best to your translation to get an optimal result.
Help / contact
- Help page - see in detail how the service works (only registered users have access)
- Contact us: DGT-ETRANSLATION-ADVISORYec [dot] europa [dot] eu (DGT-ETRANSLATION-ADVISORY[at]ec[dot]europa[dot]eu)
- Language tools hub - the site where you can find other related tools and technical information
- Digital Europe Programme
- New release of the DGTranslation - Translation Memory (DGT-TM)
Follow the latest progress and get involved.