Selection reference: SG/TA/02
Function Group and grade: Administrator, grade AD7
Job title: Local Informatics Security Officer (LISO) - job nr 221671
Where: Unit SG.C.5 „Digital Solutions and Process Efficiency“, European Commission, Brussels
Publication: from 12 December 2022
Application deadline: 10 January 2023, 12.00 hours Brussels time
The Secretariat-General is the main service of the President. It closely coordinates its work with the other presidential services and the central services to ensure the smooth operation of the institution. In agreement with the President, the Secretariat-General also provides advice and support to the Vice-Presidents in the performance of their role as deputies of the President and coordinators of Groups of Commissioners and Project Teams, as set up by the President.
Directorate SG.C is in charge of the Commission’s overall transparency policy. This involves dealing with data protection and coordinating ethics-related institutional issues. The directorate is also responsible for relations with the European Ombudsman and European Anti-Fraud Office. It is in charge of the Secretariat-General’s human resources strategy, financial management, corporate training, process efficiency as well as the portfolio of SG digital solutions together with the associated budgetary planning.
Unit SG.C.5 ‘Digital Solutions and Process Efficiency’ provides high quality IT services to the Secretariat-General, the Cabinets and IDEA (Inspire, Debate, Engage and Accelerate Action). We implement – in close collaboration with DIGIT – the corporate digital strategy as well as the digital solutions modernisation plan with a particular focus on “paperless and process automation initiatives” and develop and maintain corporate information systems which are used throughout the Commission or in an inter-institutional context. End-to-end service delivery is done in a cost-effective manner by leveraging best practices in software engineering and service management. The unit has entered a dynamic reorientation phase focussing on state-of-the-art digital solutions, building capacity for the Secretariat-General’s future collaboration needs and promoting cloud and open source developments favouring reuse by Member State authorities.
The unit numbers about 50 staff members, of whom 15 are officials. We are a dynamic, motivated and friendly team working closely with our customers on a daily basis to deliver well-performing, user-friendly, quality systems and services.
If you would like to work in the critical domain of cyber-security, in a challenging, inspiring, open-door environment involving multiple contacts with units across the Secretariat-General, DIGIT, the Directorate-General for Human Resources and Security as well as Cabinets, then this could be your opportunity to give a boost to your professional career.
The post of Local Informatics Security Officer (LISO) who coordinates the implementation of the corporate IT security policy in the Secretariat-General, the Cabinets and IDEA (Inspire, Debate, Engage and Accelerate Action). On the basis of a thorough understanding of our organisations' risk exposure, the LISO makes sure that all necessary measures are taken to address these risks. He/she liaises with project stakeholders, SG colleagues responsible for corporate IT security governance, with the Security Directorates in DG HR and DIGIT and through the LISO network with his/her peers in other DGs. Though the LISO is member of the “Digital Solutions and Process Efficiency” Unit SG.C.5, he/she reports directly to the Resources Director.
The Secretariat-General operates at the heart of the Commission and assumes the central role of managing the Commission’s corporate governance structure encompassing, among others, the Corporate Management Board, Information Technology and Cybersecurity Board (ITCB) and Information Management Steering Board (IMSB). This post offers thus a unique horizontal view of the work of the institution as well as contacts with stakeholders throughout the Commission and in other institutions.
As LISO, you will:
- Coordinate and plan the development of IT security plans approved by the Secretary-General. Those plans concern the entire portfolio of the SG’s digital solutions. You will also monitor the implementation of the approved security measures.
- Promote and implement the corporate security strategy in the SG.
- Coordinate the GRC (Governance Risk and Compliance) annual attestation exercise for the SG’s IT portfolio. Follow up on security remediation and exception management.
- Deal effectively with all cybersecurity incidents.
- Supervise in co-operation with the Local Security Officer (LSO) the procurement, installation and support of all IT equipment of the Commission's Central Registry for EU Classified Information (CENTER) managed by the SG.
- Perform the function of authorising officer for the SG's electronic seal and support and promote the usage of electronic signatures within our organisation.
- Run awareness-raising and training campaigns and advise system owners and IT project managers on IT security matters.
- Coach and develop staff members of the unit on topics related to cybersecurity.
- Participate in the meetings of the Commission’s LISO network as well as in working groups on security related matters.
- Report, at regular interval, to SG senior management.
We offer a dynamic and challenging working environment. Service orientation, team spirit and personal engagement are our key factors for success. We believe in lifelong learning and continuous improvement and you will have easy access to training to improve your skills and to keep pace with the evolution of the cyber-security landscape.
We look for
- Have good knowledge of and proven experience in IT security policy, in particular in the domains of IT risk, compliance and vulnerability management.
- Are aware of the evolution of information systems development and operations concepts.
- Have experience in project management and the ability to coordinate with project stakeholders and relevant corporate services (HR Security Directorate, DIGIT, etc.) and other EU Institutions for inter-institutional projects.
- Are organised, motivated and customer-oriented;
- Show initiative, take up responsibility and display an exceptional level of commitment and perseverance.
- Are autonomous in problem-solving and able to deliver on several priorities at the same time.
- Are open to continuous learning and committed to share their experience and skills with colleagues.
- Have excellent communication and writing skills in English. Very good linguistic skills in French would be an important asset. Experience in drafting standards, technical specifications and operational procedures would also be considered an advantage.
- Are capable of explaining technical security concepts in a clear and understandable way.
Competences in the PM2 and agile methodology for IT project and service management and for information system development are an advantage. Moreover, holding security certifications in the field of risk management / security management / security assurance would be considered an advantage. The candidate must hold a security clearance at SECRET-EU level or be in a position to be security cleared.
How to apply?
Interested candidates should send their application respecting the deadline of the vacancy to the following email address: HR-BXL-TA-VACANCIES@ec.europa.eu and indicating the selection reference SG/TA/02 in the subject.
The application must include:
- Your CV in English
- A motivation letter in English
- The duly completed and signed application form.
No applications will be accepted after the deadline for applications.