Mandated by the European Commission to support the EU Research and Innovation policy, the European Research Executive Agency (REA), funds high-quality research and innovation projects that generate knowledge for the benefit of society. REA also manages promotion measures concerning agricultural products.
REA’s responsibilities are to:
- Manage research projects supported under Horizon Europe, the world’s largest framework programme for research and innovation to date, running from 2021 to 2027.
- Manage research projects supported under Horizon 2020, the previous framework programme for research and innovation (2014-2020).
- Implement the European Union programmes Promotion of agricultural products and Research Fund for Coal and Steel, as well as ongoing projects funded under the EU’s 2014-2020 budget.
- Assist funding and tender applicants, beneficiaries and independent experts.
- Manage the European Commission’s Research Enquiry Service, which answers questions from grant applicants, EU-funded researchers and the public.
- Support independent experts evaluating project proposals competing for EU research funds.
- Assist with the legal and financial validation of all European Union programme grants and procurement operations directly funded by the European Commission.
Programmes and project opportunities
The agency manages the following EU programmes (or parts thereof):
Horizon Europe Pillar 1 - Excellent Science
Horizon Europe Pillar 2 - Global Challenges and European Industrial Competitiveness
- Culture, Creativity and Inclusive Society
- Civil Security for Society
- Food, Bio-economy, Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment
Cross-cutting activities spanning all three pillars of Horizon Europe: Widening participation and strengthening the European Research Area
- Widening participation and spreading excellence
- Reforming and enhancing the European Research and Innovation system
Other European Union programmes
All funding information and procedures on how to apply are on the Funding and Tenders portal.
Horizon 2020 was the EU’s research and innovation funding programme from 2014 to 2020. REA managed around 7000 projects, some still ongoing, in the following areas:
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
- Research Infrastructures
- Food security, sustainable agriculture and forestry, marine, maritime and inland water research and the bioeconomy
- Climate action, Environment, resource efficiency and raw materials
- Innovative, inclusive and reflective societies
- Secure societies
- Spreading excellence and widening participation
- Science with and for society
Plans and reports
Commission work programme - overview of institution-wide deliverables for current year
Annual activity report - department achievements, resources used during previous year
Annual work programme - budget line for certain policies and funding programmes for current year
Annual budgets and annual accounts - overview of the annual operating budgets and accounts
Leadership and organisation
- European Research Executive Agency
- Phone number
- +32 2 299 11 11 (Commission switchboard)
- Postal address
- Place Rogier 16, 1049 Bruxelles/Brussel, Belgium