The Directorate-General for Defence Industry and Space (DEFIS) leads the European Commission's activities in the Defence Industry and Space sector.
In the area of Defence Industry, DEFIS is in charge of upholding the competitiveness and innovation of the European Defence industry by ensuring the evolution of an able European defence technological and industrial base.
In the area of Space DG DEFIS is in charge of implementing the EU Space programme consisting of the European Earth Observation Programme (Copernicus), the European Global Navigation Satellite System (Galileo) and the European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS).
Some key actions and priorities for the year ahead:
- implementation and oversight of the European Defence Fund
- building an open and competitive European defence equipment market and enforcing EU procurement rules on defence;
- leading on the implementation of the Action Plan on Military Mobility
- fostering a strong and innovative space industry, maintaining the EU's autonomous, reliable and cost-effective access to space;
- implementing the future Space Programme, covering Galileo, EGNOS and Copernicus;
- exploring ways in which we can make the most of our assets to deliver on climate objective, improving the crucial link between space and defence and security.
Plans and reports
Commission work programme - overview of institution-wide deliverables for current year
Directorate-General for Defence Industry and Space
- Directorate-General for Defence Industry and Space
- Phone number
- +32 2 299 11 11 (Commission switchboard)
- Postal address
- European Commission, Rue de la Loi 130/Wetstraat 130, 1049 Bruxelles/Brussel, Belgium