About the Fund
The European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) provides funding to public and private bodies in all EU regions to reduce economic, social and territorial disparities. The Fund supports investments through dedicated national or regional programmes.
In 2021-2027, the fund will enable investments to make Europe and its regions:
- more competitive and smarter, through innovation and support to small and medium-sized businesses (SMEs), as well as digitisation and digital connectivity
- greener, low-carbon and resilient
- more connected by enhancing mobility
- more social, supporting effective and inclusive employment, education, skills, social inclusion and equal access to healthcare, as well as enhancing the role of culture and sustainable tourism
- closer to citizens, supporting locally-led development and sustainable urban development across the EU
The ERDF is delivered under shared management. Local authorities call for projects adapted to their specific needs. It is governed by the Common Provisions Regulation.
Funded projects and results
Budget and performance
Includes performance highlights, key performance indicators, and the performance framework and assessment.
- Fund duration
- Lead Directorate-General
European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
- Management mode
- MFF heading
Cohesion, Resilience and Values
Regional Development and Cohesion
- Climate contribution
30% (ℹ) (target)
- Total budget 2021-2027
€ 226.05 billion (ℹ) (current prices)