The annual meeting of the Initiative for coal regions in transition in the Western Balkans and Ukraine took place in Brussels on 22-23 November 2022. At a time when energy security and climate change play a decisive role in politics, it is crucial that energy transition leaves no one behind. The event thus gathered representatives of public authorities, international organisations, energy sectors, and civil society for an open dialogue. It provided stakeholders with a forum for a direct exchange on the current state, challenges and ways forward for just transition in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo*, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, and Ukraine.
The event covered a number of topics, including:
- linkages between just transitions and the energy crisis;
- successful practices of stakeholder engagement;
- opportunities for financing just transitions;
- human capital development in coal regions;
- good practices of repurposing land and assets, and environmental remediation.
- 11 November, 12:00 CET, for on-site participation; 18 November, 18:00 CET, for online participation. Travel reimbursement for participants from the Western Balkans and Ukraine might be available (more detailed information on this point in the registration form).
For social media: #CoalRegionsWBUA
*This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
- energy policy | energy efficiency | energy union
- Directorate-General for Energy