Know your rights
According to the Charter
- no one shall be held in slavery or servitude
- no one shall be required to perform forced or compulsory labour
- trafficking in human beings is prohibited
This right is enshrined in article 5 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights.
What to do if your rights have been breached
The authorities of EU countries are bound to comply with the Charter of fundamental rights only when implementing EU law. Fundamental rights are protected by your country's constitution.
How to report a breach of your rights
Addressing your complaint to the relevant national authority, government, national courts or a specialised human rights body.
Chapter 1 of the EU Charter of fundamental rights is on dignity. This chapter also contains the following rights
- human dignity
- right to life
- right to the integrity of the person
- prohibition of torture and inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment
- prohibition of slavery and forced labour