"Europe is more than just a single market. More than money, more than a currency, more than the euro. It was always about values". Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission
Watch the highlights
Watch the full speech.
On Wednesday 13 September 2017, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, delivered his annual speech on the State of the European Union.
President Juncker said: "The wind is back in Europe's sails. But we will go nowhere unless we catch that wind. (…) We should chart the direction for the future. As Mark Twain wrote, years from now we will be more disappointed by the things we did not do, than by the ones we did. Now is the time to build a more united, stronger and more democratic Europe for 2025."
To steer the reform agenda set out in his speech, President Juncker proposed a Roadmap for a More United, Stronger and More Democratic Union. A series of concrete initiatives were immediately adopted by the Commission - on trade, investment screening, cybersecurity, industry, data and democracy.
Authorised version of the State of the Union Address 2017
Annotated version of the State of the Union Address 2017
Roadmap for a more united, stronger and more democratic Union
State of the Union 2017 brochure
Factsheets on the State of the Union:
- Roadmap for a more United, Stronger and more Democratic Union
- The Economic and Monetary Union today
- A European Minister of Economy and Finance
- EU Structural Reform Support Service (SRSS)
- A European Labour Authority
- Posting of Workers in the EU
- Dual Quality of Food
- Better Regulation
- The EU’s Key Partnership with Africa
- European Solidarity Corps: One Year On
- The EU Trust Fund for Africa