President Juncker addressed the European Parliament in his annual State of the European Union speech on 14 September 2016. He highlighted:
- Europe must invest strongly in its youth, jobseekers, and start-ups.
- An ambitious Investment Plan for Africa – a lifeline for those who might risk dangerous journeys for a better life.
- We propose free wireless for every European village and city by 2020.
- Journalists, publishers and authors should be paid fairly for their work, wherever it's made and shared.
- We will defend our borders with the new European Border and Coast Guard.
This speech is the European Commission's contribution to the informal meeting of the 27 Heads of State or Government in Bratislava on 16 September 2016. It also kick-starts a dialogue with the European Parliament and Council to prepare the Commission's 2017 Work Programme.
State of the Union 2016 brochure: authorised speech, Letter of Intent, progress report and more
This publication includes the authorised SOTEU2016 speech, the Letter of Intent to the European Parliament and the progress on the 10 priorities report