Twinning activities for Roma integration
Twinnings are developed with local and regional authorities in order to lead concrete measures in Roma integration locally and encouraging the development of a EU wider network.
Roma in Prešov
Prešov in Eastern Slovakia is the country's third largest city. It has a population of 92,000 including approximately 3,900 Roma.
The Roma mainly live in two areas of the city – one is a partially integrated community in Taras Shevchenko and the other is a segregated area in the industrial Old Brickyard. Here approximately 1,200 Roma live in social housing, with considerable social and economic problems.
The Roma living in Prešov
- have a low level of education
- have a very high unemployment rate
- mostly depend on social benefits
- are economically and socially excluded and discriminated against by the majority population
Prešov has a strategic plan in place for Roma inclusion and is keen to learn about ways to combat discrimination and prejudice.
The city wants to
- improve education
- improve employment prospects
- resolvelong-term housing issues
- empower the Roma community